
Yowsa! Golden Gopher football, horribly annoying and contrived though it is, is back! I know... because I was there to witness it! Oh, yes, I was on the 50 yard line, 30 rows up in the former player section to watch as Cupito sat by and watched Laurence Moroney walk right over the top of the cocky Boilermakers. Honestly, it was like watching D. Walk with no Quinn. It also was a lot like watching Ty's team. They have skills, I have to admit, but Mason really doesn't get them fired up. It felt like they were on the verge of giving it up the whole time. They'd make great stops and drives, and all of a sudden, BOOM, 75 yard rush, Boilermakers pounding on the door. Painful... but exciting. 2 OT's and a victory. Impressive.
Mic'd band. Not impressive. So maybe I am an ND puritan, but the amount of advertisements that got blasted at me in the old HHH seriously turned my stomach. And mic-ing the band so loud in the fourth that I can't hear myself think? Ahhh!! So wrong! But it was homecoming and people were sorta fired up. The Dome was probably 3/4 full... about 45-50 k. It was great, but a far cry from watching the boys in blue on the bluegrass gridiron.
Also, it has come to my attention that football tickets are, in fact, NOT aphrodisiacs. (To those outside ND, at least!) $70 worth of tickets to the homecoming game and all I got was "Ooo! Sounds like fun! You'll have no problem getting someone to go to that game! Everybody is talking about it! ...but..."
One interesting upshot was that I ended up talking to someone I knew back at Target (trying to

get her take my ticket) who, coincidentally was celebrating her birthday at a nearby German pub. I was invited over to the craziness that was Gustaf's. PACKED with people, it was. Celebrating Oktoberfest, they were. Huge boots of beer. Tons of different German brews. Strange boards with eye mirrors and spring-loaded catapult shoot-crap-up-your-nose devices wielded by the staff. Seemed familiar. Later in the week I found out that I had actually been to the place before... when I was 8. Do you remember the first time you saw your whole extended fam intoxicated?