Snakebitten
I was blessed to have 4 brothers. Fortuitously, I was the middle kid and my two oldest bros took off to school shortly after my formative years. This left me as the "oldest" at home, who has also learned all the crucial lessons that an older brother will- nay- must teach, as well as their inherent value. The role of the older brother is much like walking an invisible tightrope. You have an obligation: you must bestow the fruits of an older brother on your ilk, but you are also being watched: one must not be tempted to take his academic fervor to excess. One of the primary lessons that an older brother teaches is this:
Silence is Golden.
Surrogate older brothers have been tested for the role, with varying success: it is all too easy for the surrogate older brother to go overboard. He then becomes a bully. I once knew a fellow who was a prodigy musician: featured on public television, in fact. It turns out that his muse was dance. He swayed. The gentleman seated next to him in band, being his elder, decided to fill the obviously vacant role of older brother. Swift blows rained down. Ruined the poor kid. Never played again.
People here sing. People here cannot sing. People here sing ALL THE TIME. In all sorts of languages. In all sorts of horrible notes. With no provocation! Enjoying sitting in the NFC with bays and bays full of whirring machinery? Don't worry! Some guy will come in and start busting out in the most recent East Asian pop song. Just in case, ya know... you're lonely. Or something.
In fact, I've noticed this trend on the streets, too. People singing or blabbering at you. People hollering down alleys and "freestyling" on busses.
It is from these observations that I have come to my conclusion: There are not NEARLY enough older brothers out there. It also appears that many have been delinquent in fulfilling their duties.
To those of you brothers who carried out your birth-order-directed charges, I salute you.
To those of you socially awkward people in the EE building, Emily just got me a new iPod Shuffle.
What's worse are those people with Bluetooth that walk around looking like they're talking to themselves.
Posted by
Lizett! |
5:15 PM
I like the picture but it does not match the rest of your blog.
You better pick a new template.
I say... more earthy tones.
Posted by
Emily |
10:54 PM