« Home | Barley, hops, and death » | August » | Summertime Stuff » | The Pendulum » | Monk. Eee. Spunk. » | 1/4 » | Rando-- » | Wanna see some more pictures? » | In other news... » | Oh, hey! »

Abel Moment

The life of a researcher in electrical engineering can be one filled with paranoia. Anyone who has ever worked in the nanofabrication center (NFC) can tell you about the "creepy crawlies," these terrifying sensations that start innocently enough on a cuff, fingertip, or forearm. The slightest itch caused by rough fabric or the smallest of scratches immediately triggers the worry that you've been exposed. Granted, I don't deal with biological agents, but the chemicals my colleagues and I routinely employ are shockingly toxic. What is worse is that many are sneaky-- they get absorbed easily and calmly by the skin, but burn the bones. They start as a nuisance and end up as burnt eyeballs. It is a little scary.

When I noticed that my hands started to ache at my 25th birthday, I couldn't believe that I was getting arthritis as my parents suggested, so my mind immediately leaped to thoughts of chemical burns. The Seagopher helped by suggesting that it could have been from inhaled hydrofluoric acid. Thanks, buddy! After some time away from work, I finally discovered the cause of my sore joints and painfully swollen hands. Chicken!


I inadvertently recreated "Super Size Me" by going on an all-Cane's diet. Nothing but chicken fingers and fries for every lunch hour over the entire summer. Don't get me wrong, I should probably have seen that coming, but, yikes!! I feel like somebody should pay me some money to make a documentary or something.


But that doesn't mean those chicken fingers aren't absolutely delicious. Seriously... a food that is so good that you continue to eat it even when it makes you feel awful. Sounds like something out of Se7en.


Anyway, I'm not quite dead yet! I feel happy! I feeeel happyyyyy! Though, there's some element of concern with which we recite our favorite mantra: "Every day in the lab is a week off your life..."

Did you catch that ER episode where the guy fell into a bath of HF and died a slow painful death...???

Former NFC LAB COP

Suzanne ;-)

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm ndNips
  • From Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
  • The Irish Gopher is an Advanced Ph.D Candidate at the University of Minnesota where he spends most of his time getting scalded while dressed up as a bunny. In his free time, he religiously stalks the University of Notre Dame football team as well as Steven P Jobs. Also, he is really bad at generating nicknames for people.
My profile

Blogroll

NDFB

Etc

Powered by Blogger